Thursday, February 28, 2008

4 Steps for Choosing Your Next Lens

Sweet article about buying a new lens .....what lens and how to choose it ... this is just a teaser ....

1. Explore Your Needs?

Here are a bunch of gut feelings you may have that drive you for a new lens.
  • My lenses are not fast enough - I miss great shots in dark places.
  • My lenses take too long to focus - I miss all those great action shots
  • My lenses don't have enough focal length / are not wide enough - I wish I could shoot from further away or I wish I could squeeze more into the frame.

2. Research

I started by googling "Nikon portrait lens". I got back a bunch of links that really helped me focus on my options. (Image by borghetti)

This link from wlcastleman.com was a great help as it showed some of the more common options for portraiture lenses.

3. Consult

I rang the phone of every photographer I know either amateur or pro and asked about their first hand experience with the mentioned lenses. Nothing beats hearing first hand. I asked:
- Are they fast?
- Are they sharp
- Are they fun to work with? (Totally subjective, still very important).
- What a comfy working distance?
- Anything else?

4. Decide

For the full article visit
http://www.diyphotography.net/4-steps-for-choosing-your-next-lens

No comments: