Sunday, October 28, 2007

Strobist article : Shade is ur friend ...

What i love about mr David Hobby ( creator of one of the most famous photo blogs of all time, STROBIST ) , is his increadible ability to use any environment for his best benefit . He is extremely adaptable , and creates awesome quality work , with minimal equipment . He really understands light , and can virtually create a studio environment out of any place . Today i copy paste this teaser paragraph from his blog and its basically about using on location shade (from buildings for example) to achieve a better exposure for ur shots :




" One of the first things to consider when balancing strobe and ambient light is whether or not you can knock the ambient down a bit, to give you more options with your small-flash lighting ratios.
And for my money, nothing does that quicker and easier than the shady side of a building.If I am doing a strobed outdoor portrait (as in the above photo of two prep football standouts) I will typically use a building as a "sun gobo" whether I include it in the photo or not.Even if I am including a bright sky in the background, I'll use the shade of a building to drop my subject to near black when underexposing a stop for the sunny sky. You get more lighting control this way.
If I am starting in full sun as my ambient, there are only a couple of stops of wiggle room before I get to my tightest aperture and max synch speed. No matter how powerful your flash is, that's the end of the light balancing line for you.You can cheat it a couple of stops with an ND filter, but that is another story (and the subject of an upcoming post.)But the fact that the shaded area was 2-3 stops darker than the area in full sun allowed me to drop the ambient down some for a more dramatic effect in this photo. When you realize that this photo was taken in the middle of the afternoon of a sunny day, you start to see the lighting ratio advantages that shade can give you. "




Photos and article teaser from Strobist .

No comments: